About Rapid City
To the east of the national forest lies the gateway to the Black Hills, Rapid City. Visitors take a leap into the past to learn about our country’s history when visiting Rapid City for the first time.
To start, it is essential that you go to see the famous landmark of Mt. Rushmore. Next, you should visit the America’s Founding Father Exhibit, the Crazy Horse Memorial, and take a stroll down Main to Joseph’s streets to see our 44 presidents’ bronze sculptures.
Once you are downtown, you can learn more about art and history by visiting the local galleries and museums. Don’t forget to stop by the Main Street Square where around 200 events are held every year.
For those with little kids, they will be delighted to experience Storybook Island, Old MacDonald’s Farm, WaTiki Waterpark, and the Dinosaur Park!
- Take a day trip to see Mt. Rushmore
- Witness the 600 ft drop off the Thunderhead Underground Falls
- Learn about paleontology at the Museum of Geology
- Visit the largest reptile zoo in the world
- Reptile Gardens
- Take your little ones to Storybook Island
Season: Summer, Fall
Airport(s): Rapid City
Related Rapid City Road Trips