About Badlands National Park
Known as the land of stone and light, the Badlands National Park stretches 244,000 acres through South Dakota. The Badlands boasts a unique environment that fascinates historians, geologists, paleontologists, hikers, and tourists alike.
When exploring the Badlands, one of the most notable features is the breathtaking view; you can get various angles by driving the Badlands loop and stopping at the various overlooks.
If you are looking to get up close and personal with the Badlands, the hiking trails are waiting for you. You can walk the Fossil Exhibit Trail and tour the Fossil Preparation Lab to learn more about the fossils found in the Badlands.
Lastly, before you leave, we recommend that you stay for the stunning sunsets that make the Badlands almost glow and enjoy a ranger-led night viewing to catch a glimpse of the sparkling stars.
- Drive the Badlands Loop State Scenic Byway
- Learn about geology and paleontology on the Fossil Exhibit Trail
- See if you can spot the black-footed ferret
- Challenge your hiking stamina with the 10-mile long Castle Trail
- Visit the tiny town of Kadoka on the way to and from the Badlands
Type: National Park
Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Airport(s): Rapid City
Related Badlands National Park Road Trips